Why is it in News?
- Cyclone Tauktae is predicted to get intensified in the Arabian Sea.
- Rain is expected to get intensified in coastal Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat.
(1) A Tropical cyclone is an intense circular storm.
(2) It originates over warm tropical oceans.
(3) It has low atmospheric pressure, high winds, and heavy rain.
(4) It has anticlockwise rotation in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere.
(6) Cyclones in Bay of Bengal side of the north Indian Ocean are more frequent and stronger than those on the Arabian Sea side.
(7) Meteorologists opined that cold waters of the Arabian Sea doesn’t create strong cyclones compared to Bay of Bengal side
Source : the Hindu