India’s Palestine policy
Why is it in news?
- At the United Nations Security Council(UNSC), India reaffirmed its support for Palestine.
- India is a non-permanent member of UNSC.
- While India supported Palestinian cause, it stopped short of making any direct reference to the status of Jerusalem or the future Israel-Palestine borders.
- There is escalation in tensions between Israel and Palestine, following the clashes in Jerusalem.
- The rockets have been fired from the Gaza and Israel inflicting air strikes in Gaza strip.
- India reiterated its strong support for the just Palestinian cause and its unwavering commitment to the two-state solution.
- India has also urged both sides to refrain from attempts to unilaterally change the existing status quo.
Source: The Hindu.