US Slider turtle
Why is it in news?
- US slider turtles are threatening the native turtles in the natural water bodies in the Northeast.
- Northeast is the home to the 21 of the 29 vulnerable native Indian freshwater turtles.
- They virtually leave nothing to eat for native turtles.
- It is also now found in the 33% of the natural water bodies of the Karnataka and Gujarat.
- US slider turtle:
(1) It is also called red eared slider because of red strips around the part where its ears would be and its ability to slide quickly off any surface into the water.
(2) It is native to US and northern Mexico.
(3) These turtles are poikilotherms, meaning they are unable to regulate their body temperatures independently.
(4) So, they are completely dependent on the temperature of their environment
Source: The Hindu