- Diagnostic test for Detecting TB and Multi Drug resistant TB
- Cartridge based nucleic acid amplification test, automated diagnostic test that can identify Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) DNA and resistance to rifampicin (RIF) by nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT)
- In December 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) endorsed the Xpert MTB/RIF for use in TB endemic countries.
- The new policy, called the Universal Drug Sensitivity Test, for TB will be using the diagnostic tool.
- It can detect the TB bacterium as well check for resistance to rifampicin, one of the standard key TB drugs, within 90 minutes. Conventional tests take at least a day or more and require well-trained personnel for similar results.
Source: The Hindu