Lingaraj Temple closed for public
Why is it in News?
- Bhuvaneshwar municipal corporation has restricted public entry to Lingaraj temple after priests test positive for corona virus.
- Lingaraja Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- It is characterized by the Kalinga architecture.
- It is built by the kings from the Somavamsi dynasty in 11th century AD.
- It was later modified by the Ganga rulers.
- It has four components namely, vimana (structure containing the sanctum), jagamohana (assembly hall), natamandira (festival hall) and bhoga-mandapa (hall of offerings),
- It signifies the syncretisation of Shaivism and Vaishnavism sects in Odisha.
- It is maintained by the Temple Trust Board and the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
Source: The Hindu