Joint logistics hub
Why is it in news?
- Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat operationalised the third joint logistics node (JLN) in Mumbai.
- The hub was operationalised as part of measures to boost tri-service integration and resource optimisation.
- The government sanction letter for the establishment of the JLNs in Mumbai, Guwahati and Port Blair was signed on October 12, 2020.
- The JLNs in Guwahati and Tri-Services, Andaman and Nicobar Command, Port Blair, were operationalised in January this year.
- These JLNs will provide integrated logistics cover to the armed forces for their small arms ammunition, rations, fuel, general stores, etc.
- The JLNs will also provide engineering support in an effort to synergise their operational efforts.
- The initiative would accrue advantages in terms of saving of manpower, economise utilisation of resources, besides financial savings.
Source: The Hindu.