DRDO’s crystal blades for aero engines
Why is it in News?
- DRDO developed single crystal blade technology and supplied to HAL.
- It supplied 60 such blades to HAL as a part of their indigenous helicopter development programme.
- It is made up of nickel-based super alloy.
- India joined the countries UK, USA, France and Russia in development of single crystal components.
- These components are capable of withstanding of high temperatures of operations.
- Single Crystal components:
(1) Single crystal superalloys are produced through directional solidification technique.
(2) The final component comprises only a single grain.
(3) The absence of grain boundaries in single crystal superalloys provides for superior creep and thermal fatigue resistance compared to polycrystalline alloys.
Source: The Hindu