ASEAN leaders summit
Why is it in news?
- The leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) met at Jakarta, Indonesia.
- ASEAN leaders demanded an immediate end to killings and the release of political detainees in Myanmar.
- ASEAN leaders also told Senior General Min Aung Hlaing that a dialogue between contending parties in Myanmar should immediately start, with the help of ASEAN envoys.
- As per some reports, around 700 mostly peaceful protesters and bystanders are killed in Myanmar.
- Amnesty International urged Indonesia and other ASEAN states to investigate Min Aung Hlaing over “credible allegations of responsibility for crimes against humanity in Myanmar.”
- ASEAN block includes Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam.
Source: The Hindu