Justice N.V. Ramana is CJI
Why is it in news?
- Justice Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana sworn in as the 48th Chief Justice of India (CJI) by President Ram Nath Kovind at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Justice N. V. Ramana will have a tenure of one year and four months as CJI and will demit office on August 26, 2022.
- After Justice K. Subba Rao, Justice Ramana is the second CJI from Andhra Pradesh.
- Before turning to legal practice, Ramana was a journalist with a prominent Telugu newspaper.
- He practised at the Andhra Pradesh High Court, Central and A.P. Administrative Tribunals and the Supreme Court.
- Later he was appointed a permanent Judge of the Andhra Pradesh High Court on June 27, 2000.
- He functioned as acting Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court between March 10 and May 20, 2013.
- He became Chief Justice of Delhi High Court on September 2, 2013.
- He was appointed a judge of the Supreme Court on February 17, 2014.
Source: The Hindu.