UPSC advertises for lateral entry
Why is it in news?
- The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has issued an advertisement to recruit 30 persons at the Joint Secretary and Director level in the central administration.
- Online applications have been invited for Ministries, departments, PSUs, autonomous bodies of the Central government.
- The contractual appointment would be for a period of three years and extendable up to five years depending on the performance.
What is Lateral Entry?
- It is appointment of specialist from private sector into Govt organizations for boosting efficiency and to bring more expertise into various government departments.
- The basic qualification for the applicant for Joint Secretary lateral entrant will require 15 years of work experience for and 10 for the position of Directors.
- The 1st (1965) and 2nd (2005) Administrative Reform Commission: have recommended need for specialization and an institutionalized, transparent process for lateral entry.