Labour codes may be implemented before April 1
Why is it in news?
- According to an official statement, the four labour law codes enacted by Parliament in 2020 and 2019 could be implemented before the earlier target of April 1.
- The codes have amalgamated 29 laws governing minimum wages, occupational safety, social security into four codes.
- However, out of four, only the rules under the Code on Wages, 2019 have been finalised.
- Labour falls under the Concurrent List of the Constitution. Both Parliament and state legislatures can make laws regulating labour.
- The central government wants to codify multiple central labour laws into four broad codes.
(1) Industrial Relation Code, following are the other three:
(2) Code on Wages- Parliament has already approved.
(3) Code on Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Bill- Likely in a Budget session.
(4) The Code on Social Security- It has been introduced in Parliament.