Global Hunger Index
Why is it in news?
- According to the latest Global Hunger Index 2020, India ranks 94 among 107 countries.
- India’s rank was 102 out of 117 countries last year.
More from the Report:
- The report has termed the level of hunger in India as “serious”.
- India features behind Nepal (73), Pakistan (88) and Bangladesh (75) among others.
- About 14% of India’s population is undernourished.
- India recorded a child stunting rate of 37.4%.
At Global Level:
- Globally, nearly 690 million people are undernourished.
- The world is not on track to achieve the second Sustainable Development Goal — known as Zero Hunger by 2030.
- At the current pace, approximately 37 countries will fail even to reach low hunger by 2030.
About the Index:
- The Global Hunger Index calculates the levels of hunger and undernutrition worldwide.
- The report, prepared jointly by Irish aid agency Concern Worldwide and German organisation Welt Hunger Hilfe.
- The score is calculated on four indicators- undernourishment, Child wasting, Child Stunting and Child Mortality.