Possibility of Raman spectroscopy to detect RNA virus
Why is it in News?
- Tata Memorial Centre has started study on using Raman spectroscopy to detect RNA virus in saliva samples
More on News
- Presently, it can only identify RNA viruses and not identify the specific one. So, it can be used only for screening
- Raman Spectroscopy
(1) It is named after scientist C. V. Raman
(2) It is used to determine vibrational modes of molecules
(3) provides detailed information about chemical structure, phase and polymorphy, crystallinity and molecular interactions.
(4) It based on inelastic scattering of photons – also known as Raman Scattering – i.e. the interaction of light with the chemical bonds within a material.