Infant mortality rate surged in Madhya Pradesh
- The infant mortality rate (IMR) in Madhya Pradesh, recording the country’s worst rate for years now.
- The IMR in MP surged by a single point over the previous year to 48 in 2018.
- In rural Madhya Pradesh, 52 children below one died per 1,000 live births (Infant mortality rate) and 36 in urban area.
- The country’s average stands at 36 deaths for rural and 23 for urban areas.
- The IMR for boys in the State stood at 51, while for girls it was 46 in 2018, according to the Sample Registration System bulletin issued by the office.
Major Causes of Mortality
- Increasing premature deliveries
- Birth asphyxiation
- Delay in securing treatment