Rajasthan govt. opposes power amendment Bill
- Rajasthan government has termed the proposed Electricity (Amendment) Bill, 2020, against the spirit of the Constitution and decentralisation of power for States.
- The Bill has focused more on the Centre’s control of the power sector despite its inclusion in the concurrent list.
Key Provisions of Draft Electricity (Amendment) Bill 2020:
- Setting up of Electricity Contract Enforcement Authority (ECEA):
- ECEA would be a Central Enforcement Authority headed by a retired Judge of the High Court.
- It will have powers of the Civil Court to enforce performance of contracts related to purchase or sale of power between discoms and generating companies.
- National Renewable Energy Policy:
- The amendment proposes to provide for a policy for the development and promotion of renewable sources of energy.
- The specified percentage of purchase of electricity from hydro sources of energy would be mandatory for DISCOMs.
- Franchisees and Distribution sub licensees:
- Many States DISCOMs have been assigning the task of distribution of electricity in a particular area or city to Franchisees/ Sub-Distribution Licensees.
- A person recognized and authorized by Distribution Licensee (DISCOMs)
- No requirement of a separate license from State Electricity Regulatory Commission
- Cross border trade in Electricity: Provisions have been added to facilitate and develop trade in electricity with other countries.